Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Owl Update

In a previous post, I documented an attempt to entice a resident Eastern Screech Owl into a nest box.  After several weeks of observation, I was finally able to find the owl's current roost.  Although the camoflauge was perfect, two very upset chickadees finally gave him away.
Sasha and I have spotted this owl in the Countryhouse V mailbox area on several occasions.  He can be heard making his distinct call right at dusk.  Since I don't want to discourage him from finding a mate, and settling down here in Fearrington, I won't divulge his secret hideaway.  Just know that he's quite content where he is.
I also did some reseach on the decline of Barn Owls in the piedmont.  Apparently, loss of good habitat, ingestion of rat poisons, and predation by Great Horned Owls are the primary culprits.  As farmland is converted to suburbs, and old fields begin to fill in with trees again, Barn Owls are forced out, and Great Horned Owls move in.  And yes, owls eat other owls, with the largest bird usually getting the spoils (Great Horned Owls are apex predators).  I plan on building a Barn Owl nest box in the near future, to help with a local recovery.  In the meantime, let's hope all our resident owls can get along, and that the little Screech Owl doesn't end up on a menu.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent photo of the elusive little guy....glad to hear about the future barn owl box - I want to do one as well.

    ReplyDelete